#Throwbackthursday - 1987 - Grade II* Listed Whitehall Court
Working on behalf of The British Constructional Steelwork Association Limited (BCSA), MCS was appointed to carry out extensive refurbishment of their head office at 4 Whitehall Court.
The Grade II* Listed Whitehall Court was built between 1884 and 1887 and consists of two separate buildings joined to form one contiguous structure. The building is built in a Châteuesque Style, which is a revival architectural style based on the French Renaissance Architecture of the Châteaux of the Loire Valley.
The South end, and incidentally the major part of Whitehall Court, was designed by Thomas Archer and Arthur Green and constructed as a block of luxury residential apartments in 1884. Archer and Green were also responsible for designing the Hyde Park Hotel.
The North end, occupied by the National Liberal Club, was designed by Alfred Waterhouse and completed in 1887. Waterhouse is perhaps best known for his designs for Manchester Town Hall and the Natural History Museum in London.