#Throwbackthursday - 1982 - University of Surrey
Working on behalf of the University of Surrey, MCS was appointed to carry out extensive refurbishment works to the Lecture Theatre D which led on to further projects that year including: 23 AZ 20 Chemistry Lab and a Coffee Bar relocation project.
Following these initial refurbishment works, MCS completed a variety of refurbishment and newbuild projects on the campus over the years.
The University of Surrey was originally the Battersea Polytechnic, established in 1880 to serve the growth of technology-based businesses of the day in London.
In 1966 a Royal Charter decreed to make Battersea Polytechnic into a University. At the time, Guildford was experiencing a declining manufacturing base associated with the automotive industry, and associated job losses.
Guildford Borough Council wanted the university as it would provide opportunities for employment and facilitate the shift from manufacturing to a knowledge-based local economy; and there was sufficient space to build the campus.
Today the University has over 16,000 students and was recently named University of the Year in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2016, which also coincided with their 50th anniversary year, celebrating half a century in Guildford, Surrey.
Visit the University of Surrey whilst attending one of their events: www.surrey.ac.uk/events