#Throwbackthursday - 1993 - Selfridges
MCS was appointed to carry out two separate contracts at Selfridges in Oxford Street. One to construct a new large steel framed mezzanine floor structure at basement level in the very busy loading bay serving the whole store which required very careful logistical planning to ensure all the works were completed to a strict programme, in a very tight space, whilst maintaining all the stores ongoing delivery requirements. These works were completed working in conjunction with RJ Witt Associates (Now Wardell Armstrong LLP).
Working in collaboration with Parker and Brown (Now Synergy) the second project was part of a larger internal store remodelling programme of works and involved extensive structural alterations, new escalators and internal remodelling works. All works were completed safely behind secure hoardings whilst the store remained open to the public.
Selfridges is a Grade II* listed retail premises on Oxford Street in London. It was designed by American architect Daniel Burnham for Harry Gordon Selfridge, and opened in 1909 and is still the headquarters of Selfridge & Co. department stores today. With 540,000 square feet of selling space, the store is the second largest retail premises in the UK.